Monday, January 25, 2010

let me introduce you to my sherpa & the garm.






by definition... "The term Sherpa is also used to refer to local people, typically men, who are employed as guides for mountaineering expeditions in the Himalayas, particularly Mt. Everest. They are highly regarded as elite mountaineers and experts in their local terrain."

i love my sherpa. he is my husband...best friend...and cheerleader (even on a chilly, gray winter day!) according to the definition he is a guide.. which he does very well for long runs. I am not climbing Mt. Everest... but I am running 26.2 miles in Nashville TN. He is definitely an expert in the local terrain and because of that was able to clearly allocate appropriate water stations for me along my 8.25 mile journey yesterday. i am forever grateful to have such a wonderful supporter through this adventure. i thought running this marathon and training for this marathon was an individual task (with my running buddy in chattanooga, tn)... however, during my run yesterday i was humbled to realize it is not. i couldn't do this without support... and love... and water stations from my sherpa!

and now... let me introduce you to "The garm" as i like to call her. she was another grand idea of my husband. i introduced you to the good ole nike fit for ipod a few weeks ago; however, when i ran 6 miles, per the map, and it told me i ran 9, i knew we had a problem! after some research, blog reading, consideration and a visit to my favorite running store, Bryn Mawr Running, i am a proud owner of a Garmin Forerunner 405.




"the garm" travels with me on each running adventure telling me my pace, time, distance and when i get home... calories and the map of my exact location throughout the run. what a fabulous invention. i don't need a gps for the car, as i train everywhere i go, but a gps for running... genius.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your sherpa! Oh my gosh. You two, so cute.

Posh Peach said...

Hi Brittany! What a wonderful sherpa you have :)
P.S. This is Amy P. from Elon. When I was an OL, you were my trainer! Your blog is adorable!

BBL said...

Hi Amy~ I remember you :) I love your blog too... adorable! I actually found your blog when we won the Lilly Lover Days!!!